LF: 73kHz

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: 73kHz
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 14:53:50 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
It was strangely quiet on 73kHz last night with the Rugby signal off the air. I could hear all sorts of carriers and SMPSU noises that I had not heard for years. To give an idea of how huge the Rugby signal is, my 's-meter' reads S9+60 compared to Jim, M0BMU, some 12km away who is just S9, and G3AQC who doesn't move the 'meter' at all. The sideband noise level from Rugby moves the 'meter' to S3-5 (depending on whether it is using both data channels) at the bottom of the band.

Managed a QRSS contact with G3AQC, my 10th station worked two-way on the band.

I will be active on 71.610kHz, mainly QRSS, tonight and over the weekend until Rugby returns. If I send 'KX', instead of 'K' at the end of a CQ, I will be checking my own frequency, then looking for crossband calls on 137.700kHz +/- 20Hz. All reports are welcome.

Mike, G3XDV (IO91VT)
http://www.lf.thersgb.net