LF: Loran

To: "rsgb_lf_group" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Loran
From: "Dave Sergeant" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 14:09:23 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
From Dave G3YMC

Some of you might have noticed that Loran, at least the Lessay transmitter, was
off
the air for several hours this morning June 12th.  I am not sure when exactly
it went
off, but became aware that my S meter was sitting at zero instead of its usual
s5 or
so and I could hear various weak TV burbles I had never heard before.  A quick
tune
to 100kHz confirmed it was missing.This has happened before, but in that case
only
for a few seconds.  Now we know exactly how much QRM Lessay is causing us.

I heard Tom G3OLB in QSO with a couple of stations, but a mini pile up formed
on him
so I didn't have chance to call him.  The stations I heard were beautifully
crisp and
clear without the usual rattle - I then had to go out on a business call and
when I
came back at midday (1100z) I found that Loran had resurfaced and status quo
returned.  This could have been an ideal opportunity for me to work Tom, as he
does
not normally copy me as he is in the null of my loop.  It would also have been
an
excellent opportunity for GW4ALG to have some qsos on his 5W QRP rig (I can only
detect traces of Steve's 5W when Loran is on).

It would be nice to have advance notice of these outages of Loran so we can take
advantage of them, perhaps that would be asking too much!!

Cheers Dave G3YMC
[email protected]
[email protected]
http://www.dsergeant.btinternet.co.uk