LF: Static effects

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Static effects
From: "Holger 'Geri' Kinzel, DK8KW" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 05:33:41 -0400
Sender: <[email protected]>
Alan, G3NYK wrote

Being a coward, I ensure that if possible, the end of the aerial is
outside
the house and grounded during a storm.

... I do this each time, not only during a storm but each time when I don't
use the antenna. See my homepage (http://www.qru.de/station.htm, about half
way down on the right hand side) for a picture of the heavy duty switch.
The ground part of the switch is led by a large diameter (16 square mm)
aluminium wire to a 4m deep ground rod. I know that doing this my LF
antenna is part of my lightning protection system and I know that it surely
will not survive a real striking lightning. But static charges and minor
charges from nearby hits are directly led into the ground, hopefully
protecting my house and the gear in my shack.

Best 73

Geri, DK8KW (W1KW)