Re: LF: Re: Protection against lightning

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: Protection against lightning
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 13:02:08 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
I wonder what did happen when those brave souls disconnected
from ground the Decca mast at Puckeridge last year ?? :-)

73  Alberto  I2PHD

Dear Alberto, LF group,

I tried this - The Decca ant downlead was provided with a movable spark gap with 2 electrodes that could be shorted together when not in use. There did not seem to be any sparking when the gap was opened and closed. However, the weather was quite damp at the time of both expeditions, so probably not much chance for static to build up.

I believe static on antennas can be caused by friction with the wind blowing past, so does not neccessarily need any thunderstorm activity to appear. I remember when flying kites as a yougster, getting small shocks off the line sometimes, even with clear skies. I also recall that it is an endemic problem with aircraft, which are often fitted with pointed discharging electrodes to prevent the charge building up excessively.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU