LF: Re: G4SPR/G6RO QSO

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: G4SPR/G6RO QSO
From: "Fred Rattray" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 21:05:32 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi All

Gear this end is a G3TDZ phasing receiver normally used for my caving
experiments, but retuned to 136Khz.
Picture of receiver (actually a ssb transceiver) can be seen in 73 Khz LF
SSTV article in the June 1997 RadCom.
(picture of me with gear but unfortunetly incorrect callsign and name
against it. It reads G0TFS, who is my brother Jimmy.)
Receiving aerial is a 26 turn series tuned 90cm square loop

Transmitter is quite basic.
Xtal controlled 4060 to a 4011 where the keying is applied also. Output of
this goes through an RC filter to make the square wave a little more
sinusoidal looking. Next stage is a BC548 with toko coil tuning in the
collector which then drives a TIP31 running at 38 volts and that feeds a
pair of 2SJ119 FETS in parallel  with a -38 volts supply.

Transmit aerial is a loading coil wound on a plastic 10 gallon drum to an
ex-army telescopic mast (with insulating base) which has a 80metre centre
loaded mobile aerial fitted to the top to make it longer.(approx overall
height 10 metres).

During my QSO with Ron the feed point started to arc to the grass which had
grown up around it, and then the loading coil started to breakdown. A quick
spread of the turns affected, and a bit of sticky tape and I was back on the
air. It was all panic but good fun.

Need to brush up on my CW as not so good at receiving.

Regards all
Fred G4SPR