LF: Sunspot Cycle & LF

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Sunspot Cycle & LF
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 11:30:10 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear LF group,

The graphs in Terman show only a modest 3-4 dB variation in signal level over the sunspot cycle - but what they don't show is what the signal-to-noise ratio was. The high noise level on LF is one of the major factors deciding if communications can take place or not. If a lot of the background noise on the band is from distant electrical storms, one would expect the noise level to be subject to the same propagation effects as the signals are. It could go either way I suppose, so I await the solar minimum with interest.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU