LF: Re: Wimborne talk on Wolf

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Wimborne talk on Wolf
From: "Stewart Nelson" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 22:16:34 -0700
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi Stewart and all,

I was also thinking that you could send wolf on the divide down
CW transmitters that some folks use. By injecting the audio
tone from a PC into a 13.6MHz transceiver operating SSB and
then dividing down by 100 you should generate an equivalent
signal to the linear translation approach save for the envelope
shaping.

Yes, I think that would work pretty well.  For example, 800 Hz
audio could represent a bit with no phase transition, 1300 Hz
for a transition.  The 500 Hz shift, divided by 100, would be
5 Hz, and over the 0.1 second bit time would give the desired
180 degree phase shift.

However by keying the carrier off-on during the transition
the normal CW wave shaping should clean up the signal.

That should not be necessary, because the signal is constant
amplitude.  With smoother transitions one could have a quite
narrow spectrum.

Does this work? Note that the error in the carrier will be the
dominant term, and not the error in the modulation, which may
have some advantages.

Stewart G3YSX

Yes, the divide by 100 should result in very good stability.

If anyone would like to try transmitting this way, let me
know and I'll add the mode to WOLF.

73,

Stewart KK7KA