LF: RE: Big PA

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: RE: Big PA
From: "Talbot Andrew" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 15:19:36 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Could you give me info on the little pot-core you use for your driver
transformer in your PA? Material, turns?
I used a Farnell 559-570 ferrite sleeve, intended for EMC suppression,
no info on material, 16 turns on primary (1.1 mH) and 29 turns

It is a pot core, RM10 size and must be ungapped and needs to be this big to
get all the insulated turns on, although for power requirements alone, a
much smaller core will do.  The core is otherwise OK for 50 Watt SMPSUs.
Material 3C85 or similar for SMPSU use.   12 turns on all windings, ie 3 x
12 in total - two windings for the FETs and one input.  1:1 turns ratio is
ideal, as the FETS are then switched with a +/- 15 V drive signal, assuming
the TC4426 is run from a 15V rail.

The TC4426 gives out a 0 - 15V waveform so directly coupling into a
transformer..........
I guess it only survived at all coz of some sort of protection built in !

Also, ferrite material designed for EMC use is designed to be lossy - this
sort of sleve / core should never really be used for anything other than
suppression.

I can supply an 81K size   .PCX file of the full circuit diagram.  If anyone
wants a copy please contact me directly as it is too big to send on the
reflector.   Does anyone want to host it on their web page ?

In view of the EMail problems on this account earlier, can you also copy
requests to [email protected] just in case this packs up again.

Andy  G4JNT

For those other than the recipient any disclosure, copying, distribution, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on such information is
prohibited and may be unlawful.