LF: Filed effect versus bipolar transistors

To: "LF-Group" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Filed effect versus bipolar transistors
From: "Dick Rollema" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 13:59:57 +0200
Cc: "Jules Moraal" <[email protected]>
Sender: <[email protected]>
To All from PA0SE

Many thanks to those who gave me their views on the matter of FETs versus bipolar transistors in LF transmitters.

I now understand why at unpredictable moments one of the four HEXFETs IRF520 in my TX fails, though they are operated within their maximum ratings. It must be the class B operation for which the FETs were not designed.

I will turn down the supply voltage down to 30V again at which I started on LF. The FETs seemed to accept that over prolonged transmission times.

73, Dick, PA0SE