Re: LF: 73/136 khz

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: 73/136 khz
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 17:57:19 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear John, LF group,

As well as GBR and HBG, there is also DCF77 (I think) on 77.5kHz - this has similar 1-second ticks to HBG. Note that the signal radiated by GBR around 73.25 changes at irregular intervals, often several times a day, and often seems to be radiating two signals simultaneously. Recently I have seen:
-No signal at all
-Single carrier some tens of Hz above or below the nominal frequency
-two carriers straddling the nominal frequency
-various mixtures of RTTY-like data signals and carriers.

I think all these signals have ERPs of some 10s of kW, so would have to be quite strong audible signals across the pond before there is much chance of detecting 1W ERP or less amateur signals.

Good luck - will be interested to know what you can hear over there.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU