LF: Last Weekend / Wolf Tests/ LF Forum

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Last Weekend / Wolf Tests/ LF Forum
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 18:45:02 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear LF Group,

Not very much time for LF activity over the weekend, but here are a few things which happened:

I recorded and decoded IK5ZPV's Wolf signal at 10W level again on Thursday night. I also monitored 137.79kHz for VA3LK's Wolf beacon sigs on several occasions overnight, but nothing was detected.

On Sunday morning I worked G8RW and DF0WD on CW, and called OK1DTN, who was a 549 signal with me, but no reply.

On Sunday evening, I took part in some Wolf-mode tests with DF0WD. As Wolf-DL4YHF remarked, I was not able to decode these, but I still have the recordings, and from the info provided, I hope to be able to calculate the appropriate correction factors to make it work, once I have finished scratching my head! The CW talkback was quite hard work, with the evening QRN making DF0WD only R2 at times.

I have been playing with some BPSK modulator circuits, and am currently putting together details for for the variable-phase modulator I tried out recently, plus also a linear BPSK exiter, which takes 137kHz carrier and logic-level BPSK signal, and generates an envelope shaped BPSK signal of a few V pk-pk for driving a linear PA.

On Sunday afternoon, I heard and saw on the spectrogram screen a weak FSK - like signal centred on 137.4kHz with about 80-100Hz shift. I wonder if this was an amateur or professional signal?

I am thinking of putting on some more Wolf beacon signals later on this week, say Wednesday and Thursday evenings from about 2000utc - Would anybody like specific power levels? Is 137.5kHz OK, or should I QSY?

I will certainly try to make it to the LF Forum in May - I can't see any reason why I wouldn't be there at the moment.

Cheers, Jim Moritz 73 de M0BMU