LF: RE: Pre-amps.

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: RE: Pre-amps.
From: "Talbot Andrew" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 08:39:58 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
All noise is reduced in proportion to the bandwidth, both external and equipment (thermal) noise.   The power of thermal noise is given by kTB, where k is Boltzmans constant, 1.38E-23, and B in degrees K.   Gives in -174dBm per Hz.

For all but very tiny, lossy, antennas, atmospheric noise usually dominates so a fantastically low noise figure is not essential.  A tuned loop gives an output vastly greater than thermal noise, but when untuned and if it is particularly lossy as well, then the levels may be comparable.  The MAR6 has a noise figure better than 4dB at frequencies up to 1GHz so gives a good account of itself at LF, but this level of performance is unnecesasry at LF if using a tuned loop.

Andy  G4JNT