LF: : Transcontinental modes - what next?

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: : Transcontinental modes - what next?
From: "Talbot Andrew" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 10:17:20 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>

I was thinking of this aspect as well, for SMT Hell modesl.   Most
stations do not transvert, so soundcard output gives a problem. The parallel port is difficult, though not impossible, to utilise in
this way through Windoze so I cam to the conclusion that the serial port
is once again the optimum route.   It may mean constructing a bit of
hardware, but this need only be along the lines of a shift register/
latch and possibly a D/A converter to drive a varicap across a crystal.

Alternatively, one of the many serial D/A converters around now could
probably be driven directly from the serial port if this has its lines
toggled in a non-standard way to match the serial format needed by the
D/A - this may give Windoze software authors a headache but it can be
done.

The best route of course is just to use the serial port to control a DDS
- and HF-Instruments has now supplied around 100 suitable DDS modules.

Andy  G4JNT