LF: <TECH>Re: Transcontinental modes - what next?

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: <TECH>Re: Transcontinental modes - what next?
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 13:32:52 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear Bob, LF group

Jim,

Your statement

> All this means that the spectrum available for > a group of transmitting stations participating in "transatlantic tests" > is probably only 100Hz.
assumes that the EU band plan can not adapt to demand.

73, Bob ZL2CA

Some aspects of band use are not within the power of amateurs to do much adapting to - for example CFH and SXV can transmit where and when they like in the band, as can the intermods that plague some parts of Europe.

The other thing is that the long distance/exotic modes activity is a minority interest among LF amateurs - it is not really reasonable to fill a large portion of the available band with signals that most of the band users cannot make use of. There has already been more than enough debate as to whether this is good or bad, but there it is.

So I think operating in small bandwidths is an inevitable part of the challenge of LF; it has certainly proved useful with the current crop of QRSS type modes, where virtually all the beacon activity has fitted easily into a bandwidth as wide as a single CW signal.
Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU