LF: Jim's WOLF Tests on Saturday evening - FB !

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Jim's WOLF Tests on Saturday evening - FB !
From: [email protected]
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 19:27:08 EST
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hello group,

there was nice signal from Jim M0BMU in the new promising WOLF BPSK mode on
saturday evening (just got home from the club station with 30 megabytes of
recorded audio..)

I had 100% error free copy right from the start, even though there was heavy
QRN (static crashes) and a lousy drifting receiver (about 0.5Hz in 30
minutes) on this side, so a lot has to be improved here before I will be able
to transmit a useful signal from DF0WD (sri).

Jim transmitted an unmodulated carrier of some minutes at the beginning of
every TX interval, which allowed a kind of 'calibration' of the RX frequency.
It also helped very much to find the center frequency, which must be passed
to   the decoding software as a command line argument.

May I suggest a dramatically reduced power for the next test transmissions,
so that also the EU stations can dig in the noise for a weak signal (let's
say 1mW instead of 300mW), because with Jim's powerful signal was much higher
than  the noise floor on saturday.

So thanks again to Stewart (KK7KA) for the invention of WOLF and to Jim for
his test transmissions.

73's from Wolf (DL4YHF).