LF: Re: Re. WOLF across the pond.

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Re. WOLF across the pond.
From: "John Andrews" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 15:09:58 -0500
Sender: <[email protected]>
I'm enjoying the comments about WOLF.  Here are my own:

This is very much a work-in-progress. Stewart Nelson has kindly provided
workable software, a number of improvements, and much tech support to those
of us who have been playing with it. I have spent a LOT of time playing with
the receiving end, and have enjoyed it. Hopefully, in another year we'll be
chuckling about the old days of the command line interface, etc.

The goal, I believe, is to work on methods of completing 2-way QSOs in short
enough time to compete with changing band conditions. WOLF is one approach.
It is certainly not the most spectrum-efficient, and may not be the best way
of receiving down-in-the-mud signals. But it may, in a later version, be a
good approach to the 2-way problem.

Personally, I'm an old CW guy, and prefer that mode. The various flavors of
slow speed CW have been quite effective, and I've enjoyed chasing them. I'm
quite taken with Laurie's DFCW transmissions - they are quite easy to ID and
read.

So for now, I'm content to try to add to the common stock of knowledge, and
help those doing things like transmitting and software development to
improve their stuff.  And I've learned a lot in the process, which is never
a bad idea!

John Andrews, W1TAG