LF: <Tech> DOS/Windows and PC clocks

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: <Tech> DOS/Windows and PC clocks
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 18:43:38 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear LF Group,

Although it may be possible to access the PC's internal clocks one way or another, I can't see it would be much help for timing accuracy - after all, it's all derrived from a very ordinary, un-
trimmed crystal on the motherboard somewhere.

I did some work at U of H a while ago with Dave Lauder, G0SNO, investigating PC clocks. In fact, a lot of PCs (and other things) are now using 'dithered clocks', where the clock is frequency modulated to a deviation of a fraction of a percent, by a spiky looking triangle wave. The reason for doing this is to spread radiated noise emissions from the PC over a wider range of frequencies, which in turn reduces the noise power seen by a narrow band EMC receiver when noise emissions testing is being performed. This slightly perverse idea is basically a fiddle to allow PC's to generate more RF noise, while still passing the EMC regulations. It saves the manufacturers some money on screening and filter components. I'm sure it does not do much for timing accuracy, though!

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU