LF: Loran DX

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Loran DX
From: [email protected]
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 19:38:23 EST
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi Wolf and all,

triggered by John VE1ZJ's recent remarks on Loran as a skywave propagation monitor, a couple of weeks ago I took a deeper look at what could be received. John's "www.G4CNN.f2s.com/Loran_lines.htm" pointed me to the list at "www.megapulse.com/table.html". With this at hand I tried to identify the lines I could see on Argo around 100.0 kHz.

The key to their frequencies is the "GRI" (group repetition interval), which is the number of 10us carrier periods between two repetitions of the modulating pulse groups. Each group consists of 9 or 8 pulses, 1 ms apart. Some of these pulses have an alternating phase, so that the periodicity of the pattern is actually two times the GRI: Master Secondary ++--+-+- + +++++--+ +--+++++ - +-+-++-- Thus the frequency spacing of the lines is Df = 100kHz/(2*GRI), eg. 100kHz/(2*7499) = 6.6676 Hz for the Sylt chain. The Loran-C carrier frequency is generated by atomic clocks and claimed to be accurate on the order of 10^-13.

The chains I could clearly observe here were

GRI     Df      Chain  (Wolf's AM line)
/10us /Hz 5930 8.4317 Canadian East Coast 6731 7.4283 Lessay 7001 7.1418 Bo (140*Df = 999.8572 Hz)
7030  7.1124  Saudi Arabia S
7270  6.8776  Newfoundland East Coast
7499  6.6676  Sylt  (150*Df = 1000.1334 Hz)
8000  6.2500  Western Russia  (160*Df = 1000.000 Hz)
8830  5.6625  Saudi Arabia N
9007  5.5512  Eide

Then there were additional weak lines which were too close to 100 kHz, at offsets of 1.52, 3.04 and 4.56 Hz. Their explanation is a little more subtle: Many loran stations are "dual-rated", they transmit in two chains with different GRI's. In case of a collision between two pulses that would have to be sent simultaneously, one of the pulses is simply left out. These dropped pulses occur at the beat frequency between the two GRI's. For the Sylt station, these "intermodulation" lines are multiples of (100kHz/6731-100kHz/7499) = 1.5215Hz.

There were even more lines I could not identify, eg. on 5.14, 5.90, 7.24, 8.18, 8.95 Hz. This made me wonder if the table is really complete, as stated by megapulse. Also, I can't explain Wolf's observed 999.96 Hz.

The fun got even more interesting when I went to time domain. Using a programmable divider clocked by 100 kHz, I generated 2*GRI trigger signals for a digital oscilloscope in 128-averaging mode, and viewed the SSB output tuned to 100.0 kHz zero beat (thus allowing phase-sensitive averaging). With this setup I could see the individual pulse groups of distant chains grow out of the noise, identify their stations and measure the time-differences. These matched calculated great-circle distances with a surprising accuracy of less than 100us, and it even worked fine for all five of the Saudi-Arabian stations, up to 4642 km from here.

Thus I think that Loran-C can be used not only as a precise frequency and time standard, but also as a powerful instrument for worldwide LF propagation monitoring, aided by its ability to resolve propagation delays.
73s and happy experimenting
de Markus, DF6NM