LF: WOLF - transmit

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: WOLF - transmit
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 13:49:17 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Thanks, Jim, for the useful description of your transmit system for WOLF.

Being a very lazy constructor, I am trying to find a simpler solution.

Am I right in saying that my Decca Tx does not cause you a problem when I key it with normal CW? If that is the case - I certainly don't get any clicks from you - and bearing in mind that I key the 'VFO' output, why not simply cut the drive during the critical transition period?

Alternatively, why go to the trouble of only reducing the PSU volts only when there is a transition? Why not reduce it every time there =could= be a transition, ie once every second (I think I am right in saying the bit rate is one bps?). This would mean that the whole thing could be driven by an oscillator. Of course it would need to be synched to the keyer, but isn't that easier than what you are using?

And what about using a linear amplifier, eg BK Electronics, and simply putting an LPF on the output of the XOR gate modulator used by the Lowfers? This would be a really easy answer, at least up to a few hundred watts, wouldn't it?

I mean no criticism of your circuitry - it's just that I don't fancy building something that complex. Have I missed something terribly important?

I remain fascinated but still rather baffled, and would appreciate your thoughts, and those of anyone else.

Mike, G3XDV (IO91VT)
http://www.lf.thersgb.net