Re: LF: <Tech> BPSK and bandwidth

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: <Tech> BPSK and bandwidth
From: [email protected]
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 00:41:03 EST
Sender: <[email protected]>
In a message dated 3/23/01 12:11:23 PM Eastern Standard Time, [email protected] writes:

<< We must not be trapped into thinking that bandwidths close to those used for QRSS are essential. >>

An interesting thought. Spectrum usage depends on more than just the bandwidth of a signal, after all. It's also related to the amount of time required to complete a transfer of information, and sometimes also ergonomic issues.

A couple of years ago, I witnessed a curious thing on 160m. A couple of stations using AM phone had a half-hour QSO on 1995kHz, reminiscing about the good old days of amplitude modulation, occupying a total of about 10kHz. During and after that conversation, in the course of checking the band, I encountered some SSB operators a little lower on the dial, discoursing mightily about what a terrible waste of spectrum AM is, and how it shouldn't be allowed on the air. Through continual misuse of incremental tuning, their QSO was occupying about 4kHz, and it went on for two hours. So, the AM QSO used 5kHz-hours while the SSB QSO used 8kHz-hours of spectrum.

Now, obviously, this isn't a comparison based on technical issues only. But it does illustrate that occupied bandwidth is not the whole story of spectrum utilization. If one technique uses sub-Hertz bandwidths but requires multiple nights to complete a rudimentary QSO, while another technique needs tens of Hertz but can complete the same QSO in half an hour, there is no necessary reason to exclude the broader method from a band plan.

73,
John