LF: LF Propagation Monitoring using LORAN

To: "LF Group \(E-mail\)" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: LF Propagation Monitoring using LORAN
From: "Talbot Andrew" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 11:43:47 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
A couple of weeks ago there was discussion on this reflector about using
LORAN as a source of LF propagation information.  I forwarded these on
to Perter, G3PLX, who looked at LOARN for this purpose some time ago.
Here are the two responses received from him :

Andy  G4JNT
------------------
Thanks for the LORAN information. I had, as you will remember in the
days I was active on LF, done the LORAN software and was seeing most
of the phenomena quoted. If you remember, I was able to integrate the
energy received over the 136 kHz band and show that ALL the LORAN
transmitters audible on 100kHz were also emitting crap on 136kHz. I
must have another look, especially for the dx signals, about which I
had no chain GRI data. Looking for individual spectral lines is not
at all a good way to detect distant LORAN, since the amount of power
in one spectral line is a very small proportion of the total signal
power. It's rather better to receive the full bandwidth coherently at
100kHz, integrating the I and Q signals in an array of "time bins" at
the group repetition rate, and watch the narrow sqrt(sqr(I)+sqr(Q)
pulses creep out of the noise as time goes by.