LF: Beacon sigs / Ferrite grades

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Beacon sigs / Ferrite grades
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 14:56:38 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear LF group,

Transmitted the usual beacon signal on 135.923kHz from 2000 until 0305 last night, apart from a period from 2205 - 2220 when I was making an adjustment to the antenna.

For the record, my 136kHz rig details for these tests are:

TX output - 1200W, 6A antenna current.
Antenna - inverted 'V' single wire, fed at one end. Total length of wire 50m, about 16m high in the middle and 9m at the ends. ERP - (estimate based on old measurements - antenna changed slightly since then) approx. 1W. Location - IO91VR; near Hatfield, about 25km north of london, adjacent to the Brookmans Park BBC MF transmission site.

I also monitored VA3LK's frequency from 0310 - 0900, but only saw a single 'K' at about 0720. The noise level dropped abruptly at 0600. I don't think the street lights switch off this early, anyway there aren't any down my road. It would certainly be interesting if VE1ZZ could run some signals in the early morning; I don't recall him ever being QRV at this time of day, and VA3LK's signal is on the whole best at this time.

3C85 ferrite has an initial permeability around 2200 as I recall - this is typical for a 'power' grade ferrite. The very high permeability ferrites are intended for small-signal, wide band transformer applications usually. Lower permeability ferrites such as 4C65 (mu = 125) are well suited to HF transformer applications. Iron dust cores, like the Micrometals -2 and -6 grades have much lower permeability, and are intended for 'energy storage' applications (resonant circuits and filter components in this context). Philips seems to have sold it's ferrite components buisness to a Taiwanese company called Yageo - oh dear..... But fortunately, Ferroxcube seem to have reappeared in the meantime - http://www.ferroxcube.com/ has data sheets.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU