Re: LF: G3XTZ copied at W3EEE 0400z+/- Feb.7th.

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: G3XTZ copied at W3EEE 0400z+/- Feb.7th.
From: "Mitch Powell" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 14:07:11 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>

I have just confirmed with Graham that he, indeed, is the owner of the
"XTZ" snapped for posterity by Argo last night.  Man, it was exciting
watching the grass grow NONONO! real morse characters showing up
on the screen!

The colours got fnargled when the screens were captured (anyone
know a fix for that?), but the characters are still plainly visible;
maybe others can recognize other senders or themselves in amongst
the zoo.  Anybody want them?

Congratulations - Just don't seem to get them this much farther West.
If the neighbours would shut down all the light dimmers in the eraly
evening I might hear (see) something:
I ran into the same problem with colors - until I switched to
IrfanView, as recommended by Lyle. Then saved as Jpegs and no more
color problems... I enclose quote:

73
Mitch  VE3OT

The following ( sent by K0LR might help in using IrfanView

quote """""
to capture screen shots from Spectran, or *any* Windows
application, simply hit alt+print scrn, then use the "paste" feature
in
any graphics application to open the picture for further processing,
resizing, saving, etc. I highly recommend the freeware graphics
program
called "IrfanView", which can be downloaded from
http://stud1.tuwien.ac.at/~e9227474/english.htm

Here is a sample of the whole process for capturing a screenshot and
saving it as a file that's relatively small (under 50 kbytes).

With Spectran (or whatever application you are using) as the active
window, hit alt+print scrn. This captures the "client area" to the
Windows clipboard. Open IrfanView if it isn't already open, and use
Edit-Paste or ctrl+V to paste the clipboard onto the screen. If you
really want to minimize file size, you can hold down the left mouse
button down while dragging the mouse to select a desired rectangular
area of the screen, then use
Edit-Crop or ctrl+Y to crop the picture. For e-mail attachments or web
page use, I typically re-size the image to 640x480 using the
Image-Resize command in IrfanView. Actually I use resample rather than
resize, because it gives better image quality. Then I use the command
Image-Decrease Color Depth and reduce it to 256 colors, which may make
the file a bit smaller, and finally File-Save As to save the image as
JPEG file, typically selecting a fairly low image quality like 40
under
the options in the Save As dialog box. All of this may sound
complicated, but it really takes very little time (compared to
uploading
a huge bitmap file). Also, most of the steps can be eliminated if you
aren't concerned about file size; just do "Paste" and "Save As". And
if
you aren't pleased with the original image, along the way you can
manipulate the contrast, brightness, intensity, hue, gamma, etc., etc.