LF: Re: Insulator problems

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Insulator problems
From: "g3ldo" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 09:20:47 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>

James Moritz said:

I notice a few people have been having problems with insulators
melting/cracking lately. I had problems with my insulators until I
fitted some corona rings. .....

I haven't had problems with corona at insulators although corona did occur
from a poorly finished antenna connection.
But I did have another problem.

I use PA0SE dog bone insulators, which are excellent for QRO using small
antennas. The insulators were fixed to supports using 2mm nylon cord.
Twice now the antenna has come down because of a failure in the nylon cord.
At the point of the break there is no indication of any burning but the ends
of the nylon cord, where the break occurred, are hard rather than frayed.
This seems to me as though heat was involved in the failure.
It only seems to occur where the length of cord is short. Nylon cord is used
to support the antenna at the far end (by the house) but this 4mm nylon cord
has not given trouble in years of operation.

Regards,
Peter, G3LDO

<[email protected]>