LF: Re: ARGO Build 113

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: ARGO Build 113
From: "Alberto di Bene" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 15:20:35 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
LAWRENCE MAYHEAD wrote:

Good morning Alberto,
I have another small problem with build 113 recently downloaded.A signal
which produces a good display on build 110 seems to be far too strong for
113.So I have to reduce the sensitivity greatly, or I have to switch OFF the
AGC. It seems as if this switch function is reversed! on build 113. What do
you think. 73s Laurie.

Hello Laurie,
             thanks for the feedback.
The fact is that the program is optimized for weak, very weak, signals, and the
last mods to the AGC routine are a further step in that direction.
So, with strong signals Argo is blinded, so to speak.
The AGC function is not reversed. Probably you were in a condition of low
noise and strong signal, and this new AGC compares the strength of the signal
to the background noise level to compute the brightness to put on the screen.
Build 110 used a different method.
I will put in the next version a low sensitivity mode, for when the signals are
strong.

73   Alberto   I2PHD