LF: QRSS procedure

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: QRSS procedure
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 11:12:02 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
QRSS can be confusing for anyone new to it, and any errors can be very time-consuming. I have seen people send zero instead of O, wasting several minutes, as well as QTH, power level etc. The idea is to be as brief as possible whilst keeping the message clear.

Rik, ON7YD has a useful web page showing a typical QSO, and I can recommend it to anyone new to QRSS. It is at http://www.qsl.net/on7yd/136narro.htm

I suggest for this weekend a slightly shorter format than shown by Rik. A QSO could progress as follows:

VE1ZZ: "VE1ZZ VE1ZZ VE1ZZ" etc for 15 minutes.
G3XDV: "G3XDV G3XDV G3XDV" etc for 15 minutes.
VE1ZZ: "G3XDV G3XDV M M K" G3XDV: "ZZ R O O K"
VE1ZZ (not copying): "? ? K"
G3XDV: "ZZ R O O K"
VE1ZZ: "XDV R R SK"

There is no need to send '73' or 'TU', just 'SK'.
Don't use 'QRZ' or 'AGN', and certainly not 'PSE RPT' - just '?' will do.
Don't use full callsigns once the QSO has started, the suffix is enough. Only use the other station's callsign during the QSO. If you are unsure that the DX replied to you, it is permissible to use your own suffix as well but without the 'DE' (G3XDV: ZZ XDV O O K).
Never use RST - the reporting system is:
'T' = Seen but not readable.
'M' = Readable but not 100%.
'O' = 100% of every character seen clearly.

The golden rule is not to send anything that is not needed. A QRSS QSO can take 45 minutes. Using this procedure it will reduce to less than 30.

Mike, G3XDV (IO91VT)
http://www.lf.thersgb.net