Re: LF: re Paraffin Wax

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: re Paraffin Wax
From: "J. Alan Lowe" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 12:21:55 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
<[email protected]> writes
Where scientifically if I remember my organic chemistry
correctly ..."the paraffins are a family of straight-chain hydrocarbon
molecules" ....cor that was dug up from a long time ago......hope I got it
right.
The Wax is a high molecural weight member of the family usually popularly
called "Candlewax" in the UK.
Its all good for a laugh.

The paraffins are members of a series of saturated (no double bonds)
hydrocarbons with the general formula CnH(2n+2), which may be straight
chain or branched, or cyclic in which case the general formula becomes
CnH2n. They may be gases, liquids or solids at "room temperature"
depending on the molecular weight.

In the UK, "paraffin" as used for a fuel, is a crude mixture of liquid
paraffins defined as above, together with some benzene derivatives,
which account largely for its odour.

Paraffin wax belongs to the paraffin series, being a mixture of various
higher molecular weight compounds, depending on the melting point of the
grade.

Alan, G3XZX