LF: VE1ZZ/Confusion

To: "rsgb" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: VE1ZZ/Confusion
From: "MAL HAMILTON" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 18:42:26 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
All the mail today with contradictions about who really heard or worked
VE1ZZ seem confusing. The telephone should be OUT. Either aim for two way on
136 khz or use xband but email and telephones confuse all concerned.
The only presons currently active that stand a real chance of a
transatlantic qso are MM0ALM and OK1FIG with their large antennas, also
VE1ZZ has an elaborate antenna system, with the present propagation the rest
are just QRM to one another.
The best approach would be to have one night tests using normal cw and a
different night for slow slow cw. The only other person with a chance is
G0MRF from his /P qth with his big antenna from a tower block.
Another point that some one made is that Jack spent too much time chasing
OK1FIG to the detriment of all others waiting. I have seen this happen on
160 metres and it can be very frustrating especially if there is a short
time slot due to propagation changes.
Would suggest that if you do not make it after about 3 attempts pack it in
and give others a chance. On normal cw I suppose it would work better than
the very QRS method where even if you got it first time it could take an
HOUR for one qso. This is very anti social except you set aside one night
for this mode only.
In spite of all the confusion I hope someone makes it this weekend. I do not
mind waiting for a while to make a solid qso on normal cw.
73 de G3KEV