LF: Coil Huts etc.

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Coil Huts etc.
From: "Walter Blanchard" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 11:02:03 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
My now-retired Decca engineer pal who had a lot to do with setting up coil huts and tuning coils, Nigel Fenner, tells me that he occasionally ran Decca transmitters without the copper lining in wooden coil huts but only in very dry climates. In the UK the prevailing dampness made it impossible to maintain tuning or coil "Q" and you would get corona all over the place. He warns against using ordinary soda-lime window glass for insulation - it is very lossy and will shatter, the only glass that will stand up is Pyrex-type. He says an excellent insulator he used many times was the largest Pyrex baking dish he could find with a hole bored in the bottom for the feeder. Also, ordinary plastic ropes (terylene, nylon, polypropylene etc) will melt. Either use steel wires broken up by many insulators or (expensively) sleeved Kevlar rope. And if you're going to run real power you MUST put in voltage limiters ! He thinks the fire in Dave's hut was probably caused by the plastic walls breaking down, getting hot and catching fire. I could probably persuade him to come along to Beaumont for the next conference and give us a talk if you like. Walter G3JKV.