Re: LF: Receiver insensitivity

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Receiver insensitivity
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 11:23:44 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
G8AFN wrote:

I tried to send this message 3 times last week it apparently got held
up as I had started the subject line with the word "help" the software
at Blacksheep thought it was some sort of command but could not act on
it. Hopefully with a more sensible subject line we will be alright
this time.

I wonder what other 'commands' we might accidentally use?

I have been investigating my receive signal to noise ratio, which
seems to be about 20  to 30dB less than many people. [huge cut]

Peter,

It looks to me like you have a local noise source. The simplest way to check this is to build a directional antenna. This could be a few tens of turns of wire about 1m in diameter, tuned by a few hundred pF, and coupled via two or three turns to the Rx. You can then do three tests:

1) Rotate the antenna to see whether your S/N improves (or even gets worse).

2) If the noise appears directional, use the antenna to get a bearing on it.

3) If you have a 12V Rx, take your receiver out in the car with the loop antenna and see whether you can get a much better S//N at locations away from home.

Another thing to look at are the Loran lines. Do you see them clearly on a spectrogram? If not, you probably have a noise problem. As a guide, I can see them only when my neighbours are not playing computer games or watching their widescreeen TVs.

Good luck.

Mike, G3XDV (IO91VT)
http://www.lf.thersgb.net