LF: Re: vector potential - the last word?

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: vector potential - the last word?
From: "g3ldo" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 00:45:07 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Nice one Roger!

 Readers who retain old copies of the journal RadCom will have seen two
historic photographs of a distinguished experimental physicist  which
appeared in the April 1944 and May 1944 issues of the journal. The
distinguished hand was holding a flourescent tube in the presence of a high
electrical potential which illuminated the tube.

Although it was 1984 - I  was only 12 years old in 1944

I had actually conceded the point when you quoted Richard Feynman but had
not got round to formulating a reply.  I might just be able to hang in there
with Electomagnetic Theory but when it comes to Quantum Mechanics I am lost.
Some time ago I bought Feynman's "Six Easy Pieces" and "Six not-so-easy
Pieces" from his famous lectures. However, these books do not extend as far
a Quantum Mechanics and treats Electromagnetic Theory in the traditional
way. You might let me know which book or paper your Feynman quotation came
from.

For those of you who are may be wondering what all this is about. Roger
submitted an article on a toroidal antenna to the RSGB Radcom in 1994 when I
was Technical Editor. The small torodial antenna was so radical I decided to
build one before publishingRegards,
Initally I had no success with his original single toroid model but with
more advice from Roger I got a double toroid antenna working. With a 14MHz
model, 300mm in diameter and around 400mm tall I worked VK on more than one
occasion. The photo Roger refers to is a radiation test being performed on
this antenna.
This begs the question of whether one of these antennas would work on
136kHz. The answer is probably yes - the down side is that it is rather a
complex structure and would be difficult to engineer.

Peter, G3LDO

<[email protected]>.