LF: Propagation

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Propagation
From: "Johan Bodin" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 00:22:19 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi All,

At my QTH, the Icelandic BC stations on 189 and 207 kHz have been
much stronger than usual during the recent nights. I am using a K9AY
antenna for receiving (cardioid pattern) and when I point the "null"
toward the QRM from the south, the signals from Iceland pops up with
"local quality"!

Last winter I tried hard to hear Iceland on LF but most of the time I was
only able to detect the presence of the carrier. Now, the signal is strong
enough to enjoy the program with a simple AM receiver.

At the time of this writing, Iceland is booming in on 189 kHz but the "Loran
rattle" on 136 kHz, which is usually clearly audible, is not there... CME?

Also, I have noticed a *very* pronounced "Luxembourg effect" on the Donebach
signal on 153 kHz during the recent nights. A lot of programmes were heard
simultaneously. Sometimes Radio Norway (1314? 630?) sounded almost
as strong as the original modulation! I find this hard to understand since the
"ionospheric modulator" (Norway) is *NOT* between me and the LF TX!

Has anyone else noticed this?

73

Johan Bodin, SM6LKM