LF: "Flutter" / LOPT cores

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: "Flutter" / LOPT cores
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 17:28:55 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear Tom, LF group,

I think Andy must be right about the flutter - myself and G3AQC are often within 1 or 2Hz of each other, and the flutter is produced by the two signals beating together. I heard something similar when EI0CF rang up the other day, and I was able to listen to the signals over the phone. The tiny frequency separation is neccessary so that the guys on the other side of the pond can bring high- resolution software to bear on 2 or more signals at the same time, but it certainly isn't very helpful when trying to identify signals aurally.

The ferrite cores used in TV EHT line output transformers use similar materials to the SMPSU transformers - they operate at a lower frequency, so some might be more lossy, you will just have to try. The type with a metal clip are handy to wind cables round for RFI supression, but they are a slightly awkward shape for making a transformer with. Make sure you remove any thin plastic film spacers from the joining surfaces before using; the 'air gap' is good for an energy storage inductor, but not a transformer.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU