Re: LF: Toroid cores

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Toroid cores
From: "Rik Strobbe" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 17:14:54
Sender: <[email protected]>
My experience is that the core material is not so critical for a transformer.
In my PA (450W out, variation of the G3YXM design) I use a 'double-U' core
that was slaughtered from the HV transformer of an old TV set. It gets hand
warm after longer QSO's.
I you want to buy a core the 3C85 material (Philips) should be OK.

But be aware the in contradiction to the above the core material is far
more critical for use in low pass filters or any other resonant circuits.
There the 'red' Amidon cores can be used.

73, Rik  ON7YD