LF: 73 khz permits

To: "rsgb" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: 73 khz permits
From: "MAL HAMILTON" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 12:47:40 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
When 73 khz first became available to UK radio amateurs ANYONE that wanted
permission to operate on the band got it. I know some that got it just in
case, but never used the band.
In more recent times just before the band was due to be withdrawn there was
a policy according to the rsgb that no more permits would be issued. When
the band was extended another year that was still the policy and then when
the band was extended for a total of 3 years it was still the policy in
spite of the fact that all the existing permits holders that were active
were all south of Birmingham. For genuine experimental purposes this did not
make sense. Surely what was needed was a spread of experimenters covering
the North of England, Scotland and N. Ireland. But according to postings on
the reflector the rsgb did not contemplate any more permits.
Then suddenly the closed shop opened up and permits are again being issued
to any class A or A/B  that wants to experiment on the band. Permits are now
being issued directly by the RA and no agencies are involved. This is now a
fair system.
I did enquire some months back directly to the RA about 73 khz permits and
understood from the conversation that once they had decided on the extension
period
for the band an application to them would be favourably considered.
I got my permit on the 30th Nov. and hope to be active as soon as I get the
TX built.
I also understand several others have applied for permits across the UK,
giving a better distribution of activity for experimental purpose than
before.
For those in Europe interested in LF an approach to your Licence department
for a 73 khz permit might be successful.
73 de Mal/G3KEV