Re: LF: Re: 73kHz Activity Tonight

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: 73kHz Activity Tonight
From: "MAL HAMILTON" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 11:26:52 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>

-----Original Message-----
From: Rik Strobbe <[email protected]>
To: [email protected] <[email protected]>
Date: 05 December 2000 23:15

Hello group,

I saw Jim (M0BMU) with a solid 'O' beaconing on 71.65kHz friday night. I
could heard the signal going on and off, but QRM/QRN was to bad for a
normal CW copy.

John (G4CNN) seemes to have improved his station, while I had some
difficulties in reading him during our QSO a few days ago he was a solid
'O' and would have been a 329 in CW during his QSO with PA0BWL.

On sunday morning F5MAF was a good 'O' copy, until there started a never
ending QSO straight on top of Marc (the QSO included exchange of output
power). Both stations were clearly audible with me (one 559 and the other
even a lot stronger) and based on their locations they should have heard
each other at least at the same strength.
I know that the therapeutic value of QRSS is highly appreciated by some,
but should QRSS not in the first place be a mode one uses to work stations
that cannot be worked on faster modes (CW) ?
Nothing against these long and strong signal QRSS QSOs, but to avoid that
ones therapy becomes anothers frustration it might be usefull to keep the
137700-137800Hz segment for real weak signal contacts (keeping QSOs short)
and have a ragshew or therapeutic segment arround 137600Hz.

73, Rik  ON7YD

Agree Rik.
qrss should only be used when normal cw fails. So far any qrss signals that
I have observed at this qth were strong enough to be copied on normal cw.
That includes both 136 and 73 khz bands. I am equipped for qrss send/receive
but do not use it because I have not found it necessary so far. Who wants to
make a qso that lasts for maybe 30 - 40 minutes or longer on qrss when using
normal cw it would take 2 - 3 minutes.
Qrss should be used sparingly and only when absolutely necessary.
73 de G3KEV