LF: Re: Re: Coils and amplifiers

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Re: Coils and amplifiers
From: "MAL HAMILTON" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 19:00:10 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Dodd <[email protected]>
To: [email protected] <[email protected]>
Date: 06 December 2000 16:09
Subject: LF: Re: Coils and amplifiers

Andy said:

Some of us don't have such large antennas as you, Peter.  For 1 Watt ERP
I would need approx 4kW RF.

Yes, I am well aware of that - and that is why I mentioned I5TGC's LF
antenna, which must be the smallest of the LF antennas in the LF group.
However, the subject was loading coil cooling - and was it necessary.
I only quoted my transmitter power and antenna current because that
was the only experience I had of using higher power at LF

While on the subject of power amplifiers the only successful design
that I have seen is the one by G3LNP, see 'The LF Experimenter's
Source Book', second edition.

You must have missed MM0ALM signal. He is the strongest on the band and uses
a tube amplifier designed and built by himself. He is several  S points
above anyone else. Considering he has no connection with electronics as a
profession he could show most others the way.  Seem to remember EI0CF with
his home designed/built amplifier
being the strongest on the band also.
Surprised you missed hearing these two stations. Too many early nights or
day time doozing off !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
G3KEV

I have seen solid state amplifiers that use many separate amplifiers
with the outputs combined using a ferrite transformer. This might be
the way to go in the construction of a less lethal design.
The Decca transmitters were designed with safety (and reliability) in mind.

--
Regards, Peter, G3LDO

<[email protected]>