LF: Re: [Lowfer] LEK's QRSS-CW signal copied in Canada using CRUNCH

To: [email protected], [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: [Lowfer] LEK's QRSS-CW signal copied in Canada using CRUNCH
From: "Stewart Nelson" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 15:12:35 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi Bill and all,

Thanks for the CRUNCHed file.  I took a close look at it, to see
how well a machine might decode it.

First, I found the spectral peak at about 799.875 Hz.  This is
amazing Tx and Rx frequency accuracy.  Dividing by the 40x speedup
factor, the error at LF is only three millihertz!!!

Demodulating at that frequency, I then searched for the bit timing.
I assumed that elements were precisely three seconds long (0.075
after CRUNCH), and just looked for the phase.  A CW signal has
a discrete spectral line at one half the element rate, because the
key is down far more at odd element times than at even.  For
example, "LEK" is key down for 14 elements; 11 of those are in the
odd intervals.  So I just shifted a window of alternate elements
until the signal was maximum.

Using the phase obtained above, a rectangular matched filter was
then applied, obtaining this result:
http://www.scgroup.com/ham/lek.gif
Amplitude is arbitrary linear "voltage" units; phase is in degrees
(and not meaningful when the key is up).
You can see that "LE" could be easily decoded, but noise towards
the end of "K" would result in a bit error, regardless of the
threshold chosen.  Coherent detection did not help in this case -
I suspect that the path caused too much phase jitter.  However, a
sophisticated program which knew the rules of Morse might be able
to correct the error.

So, IMO, it will be a while before robot QRSS decoders can compete
with the human brain.  But, if we all use the same precise element
timing, it should be possible to have an automated *detector* of
QRSS signals, which could trigger a screen capture or audible
alert.

Bill, if you have the audio file before CRUNCHing, could you please
post it to your site or email it?  I have been playing with some
noise reduction schemes, and would like to attempt an S/N
improvement on this signal.

73,

Stewart KK7KA

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill de Carle" <[email protected]>