RE: LF: PSK sidebands

To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: LF: PSK sidebands
From: "Talbot Andrew" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 11:36:01 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
We're thinking along the same lines.  I tried a PWM modulator a few
months ago - it is shown in the latest LF experimenters book - but this
required an 8 bit digital input for the PWM.  It could modulate rails up
to 50V at 10A but could be expanded.   Tried the concept with a (badly
generated) PSK31 waveform on 1.8MHz with sucess, but the poor generation
due to the way I encoded the waveform using 6 bit amplitude sampled at
500Hz,  generated unacceptable sideband levels at the 500Hz sampling
rate.  Never carried on any further as this project was not a priority
then.

The only switching PAs I have at the moment are the experimental big
ones, so these look a contender for the next PWM supply controller.
There's a challenge, a 0-100% duty cycle 340V controller using PWM !

Andy  G4JNT

If one is serious enough about civilized PSK sidebands to consider linear amplification-- which is no trivial matter at the "California kilowatt" > Class C, D, and E amplifiers are not that hard to
modulate.
stages, apply PWM
methods to the power supply for the final!
> If the amplitude component and RF phase/frequency components are reunited in the final amplifier without excessive time difference, the >

For those other than the recipient any disclosure, copying, distribution, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on such information is
prohibited and may be unlawful.