LF: FETs / Overload Protection/CFH

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: FETs / Overload Protection/CFH
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 12:20:57 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear Richard, Andy, LF Group,

I once had a similar problem where one FET blew up in an amplifier, and it's replacement immediately failed too. This turned out to be because the other FET, although not catastrophically shorted, no longer had any gain, and the amplifier was trying to operate in a single-ended mode without much success. Replacing both FETs solved the problem; I suppose the moral of the story is, if one FET goes, functionally check the others in the circuit as thorughly as possible.

As far as short-circuit protection for Andy's amplifier goes, the Decca "guard" circuit does this very nicely - when testing, I ran mine into a dead short at full power for the best part of an hour without it getting particularly hot.

I'm all set up to record CFH, and hopefully get a reasonable calibration of the actual field strength too, but it looks like Murphy has intervened, and it will have to wait....

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU