LF: VE1ZZ signals

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: VE1ZZ signals
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 12:41:18 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear LF group,

Congratulations to Jack and Peter on last night's reception of VE1ZZ's signals.

Funnily enough, I was using DL4YHF's excellent Spectrum Lab software to record spectrograms of 136.5kHz last night - but unfortunately only after 0100! Oh, well. There was actually a trace around 0300 or 0400, on about the right frequency, drifting a few hertz low, but it had nothing to identify it as an amateur station.

If G3LDO's info about VE1ZZ's station is correct, Jack's ERP is about 50W (30W radiated power). This is pretty spectacular - not far below the ERP obtained during the Puckeridge "high power" operation. It would put VE1ZZ only about 30dB down on the CFH signal. Since the SNR on CFH in typical CW bandwidths often exceeds 30dB during the course of a night, audible copy should be quite easy, provided one of Jack's transmissions coincides with good propagation.

Of course, with the European 1W ERP limit, both regulatory and practical, 2-way communication might be a way off yet, but it's getting closer...

After tomorrow, I won't have access to E-mail due to the holidays until about January 2nd. in the mean time -

A very Happy Christmas to all on the LF reflector, and best wishes for 2001!

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU