LF: Re: Off topic - Soundblaster AGC

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Off topic - Soundblaster AGC
From: [email protected]
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 19:59:17 EST
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hello Stewart, Andy,

... I discovered that
 the reason that I was not seeing the linear change with amplitude that
 I was expecting was because there is some sort of vogad action
 in the microphone audio input. Does anyone know:
1) How to turn this off
 2) If the same applies to the line input

I'd be glad if I knew. Had exactly the same annoying problem, using a notebook with an ESS 1869 "audio drive" chip. Here, the AGC is active on all inputs, but only in the 8 bit mode. As it decays in visible discrete steps, I assume the audio is always sampled at full 16 bit depth, and the on-chip firmware tries to optimize the dynamic range when scaling down to 8 bits.

My problem is that I don't know how to program the Windows interface, and from the DOS-box, I can only adress the chip in its 8 bit SoundBlaster compatible mode. I have even sent an email inquiry to ESS asking how to work around the AGC, but never got any response from them.

73 de Markus, DF6NM