LF: Report for Saturday

To: "LF Group" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Report for Saturday
From: "Steve Rawlings" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 11:21:37 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi All,

I managed to get four helium-filled balloons flying from 14:30
yesterday (30/12/2000) at a height of 27 metres.  Occasionally
the breeze came up, so down came the balloons.  But, overall,
conditions were sufficiently calm to work three new stations (all
greater than 800 km), including a new 'first' from GW.

First in the log were G6NB (good to hear you again, Bill) and
G6RO. Then the arrival of a gentle breeze meant that I had to
haul in the balloons.

In the early evening, I worked:
M0BMU - a big signal, Jim
F6CNI - glad that we finally made another QSO, after many months
DJ8WX - our first QSO, 860 km
OZ1KMR - the first GW-OZ on 136 kHz, 896 km

At about 19:30 the air became very still.  What a lovely sight to
see the balloons: now exactly above the anchor point.  Very
rarely do we get the kind of weather conditions that enable me to
get the balloons up to 27 m - perhaps only 2 or 3 times each
year.  So I was set for an 'all nighter': a flask of coffee at
the ready.

During the evening I worked:
G6RO - good signals from Ron's new antenna
DK8KW - Geri! Nice to hear you again. AWDH
DL3FDO - Very nice to work you Reiner, after a few 'near misses'
in the past.  828 km.

Up until 22:00, things had been going very well - and the antenna
wire was still vertical over the anchor point.
As many of the the stations worked were using 136.5 +/- 200 Hz,
you can imagine my disappointment when QRM from the intermittent
carrier appeared on 136.5, with strong sidebands +/- 100 Hz
(already mentioned in other postings to this reflector).  I did
try for further contacts: I stuck it out for a couple of hours,
but everyone else had given up - so I went to bed too.  A
disappointing end to an otherwise successful day.

Today (Sunday), the weather is back to being wet and windy.  So
conditions are back to 'near normal' (for Wales!).

A Happy New Year to all,
Steve GW4ALG