RE: LF: Wire, for LF Antennas

To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: LF: Wire, for LF Antennas
From: "Talbot Andrew" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 08:37:29 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
There is also the issue of reduced skin depth and extra losses when
using steel wire, or any other magnetic material for that matter.   Skin
depth reduces as the square root of relative permeability, which for
steel wire is several thousand.

Did the modelling of the MF atnennas take this magnetic wire effect into
account, although at those frequencies much of the current will be
concentrated in the zinc galvanising so reducing the Ur losses.

As you say, the high impedance of these antenna will not show up the
losses in the wire nearly as much as using steel wire at LF where skin
depth is 0.2mm or so.

Andy  G4JNT