LF: Re: Sleep mode antenna

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Sleep mode antenna
From: "Peter Dodd" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 10:12:26 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Steve Olney said

Here in Sydney Australia we have (had) a CFA installation in commercial use.
I have done relative FS measurements (single point) at a distance of 60Km
and can report that the CFA antenna is NOT working as the inventors say it will.

In my early days of Ham radio I visited a radio ham who used one of those old metal spring double beds as an antenna. The bed was connected to the hot end of the ATU and the other to the water pipe of a sink that was also in the room. As I recall he seemed to work around the UK on 80m using it. I called it the Sleep Mode Antenna (SMA).

The Electronics World and Wireless World articles referring tothe CFA antenna (I think G4JNT asked) are:

Maxwell's Equations and the Crossed Field Antenna, March 1989
The Crossed Field Antenna in Practice, Nov 1989
CFA Experiments, March 1990
CFA Working Assumption, Dec 1990
CFA-RIP, May 1993

The last article is a documented project, part of a final year Electronic and Electrical Engineering degree course project, by Colin Davis to test the CFA antenna. His conclusion disputes the hypothesis behind the CFA antenna and cast doubts on its performance claims.
--
Regards, Peter, G3LDO

<[email protected]>