Re: LF: LFCC Award Proposal

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: LFCC Award Proposal
From: "M & S" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 00:17:13 +0200
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi Les,

Your proposal is very interesting.

However, the French edition of CQ magazine has already proposed the LFCC
and the award is supposed to be available diring autumn this year...

The brand "LFCC" is now a trademark (yes, we are 'commercial' guys...

73, Mark, F6JSZ

P.S. We formerly did a survey on this mailing list, and response was
quite positive.

[email protected] a *crit :

PROPOSAL TO ESTABLISH A LOW FREQUENCY CENTURY CLUB AWARD (LFCC)
By Les Rayburn, KT4OZ
June 23, 2000

Objective: To outline a set of suggested guidelines for the establishment
of an award
targeted at the users of the Low Frequency (Below 500Khz) spectrum. This
award would
encourage more activity on LF, and spur users to pursue multiple endorsements.

Governing Body: Ideally, an LF organization like the Longwave Club of
America. Failing that
alternate bodies might include AMRAD, RGSB, or ARRL.

Award: Certificate, with endorsement stickers.

Program Brief: This award would be open to amateur radio operators,
lowfers, longwave listeners,
and maritime operators.  Operators would be required to submit QSL cards, or
other verification proof to the governing body to be checked for
completeness and accuracy.
The decision of the governing body would be final and not available for
review.

Certificates would be numbered beginning with LFCC #1 (* See Note Below)

Certificates to be awarded according to the guidelines below:

0-100Khz (VLF Endorsement): Award would be granted to those operators who
could verify
reception of stations in 25 Maidenhead grid squares. Endorsements for each
additional 25 stations.

73Khz (Amateur VLF Endorsement): Award would be granted to those operators
who could verify two way contacts with or
reception of stations in 10 Maidenhead grid squares. Endorsements for each
additional 10 grid squares.

Amateurs who operate in the 73Khz range would be required to provide proof
of either reception of their
station, other stations, or two way contacts to qualify. No contacts with
non amateur stations can count towards
this endorsement. LF Listeners would receive the Amateur VLF DX Endorsement.

136Khz (Amateur LF Endorsement): Award would be granted to those operators
who could verify two way contacts with or
reception of stations in 25 Maidenhead grid squares. Endorsements for each
additional 25 grid squares.

Amateurs who operate in the 136Khz range would be required to provide proof
of either reception of their
station, other stations, or two way contacts to qualify. No contacts with
non amateur stations can count towards
this endorsement. LF Listeners would receive the Amateur LF DX Endorsement.

160-190Khz (Lowfer Endorsement): Award would be granted to those operators
who can verify reception of their
LF beacon in at least 10 Maidenhead grid squares. Endorsements for each
additional 5 grid squares.

LF Listeners (including beacon operators) could also receive the Lowfer DX
Endorsement for reception of lowfer
beacons in at least 5 grid squares. Endorsements for each additional 5 grid
squares.

100Khz-500Khz (LF Endorsement): Award would be granted to those operators
who could verify reception of stations in
at least 100 Maidenhead grid squares. Endorsements for each additional 50
grid squares.

This stations could include any combination of NDB, TWIB, Maritime
stations, broadcasting, etc.

Basic Rules: Verification could be in the form of a QSL card, verification
letter, or other supporting documentation. The
governing body would appoint a chairman to inspect and return these
verifications. Any operator submitting
false or suspect documentation will have those cards marked by the Chairman
and their application of LFCC
returned. There is no appeal. Operators must resubmit application without
those documents judged to be
false or suspect.

Basic costs would be covered in the application fee (Suggestion $10-$20).

Contacts and receptions must have occurred on or before 1980 (I doubt that
reliable frequency listings
exist much before this date.)

Comments: Many LF operators would already qualify for this award. In the
case of veteran NDB dx'ers
they might even qualify for several endorsement stickers! But for many of
us, it would represent
a goal that was realistic and achievable...but difficult enough to
encourage effort.

There are many out there who object to "paper-chasing" of any kind on the
low frequencies, and this
is understandable. However, if we hope to see amateur allocations grow and
foster in this band,
activity is what we need. Also many of us Lowfers do not have even a single
serious LF listener
within the normal range of our stations, growth is important in these areas
too.

I would further suggest that honorary LFCC's be granted to recognize those
pioneers
of the band who are no longer living or inactive. For example, Ken Cornell,
or Vince Pinto.

Comments are welcome.