LF: Re: Antenna Z measurements at LF

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Antenna Z measurements at LF
From: "Peter Dodd" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 21:40:07 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Measurement of Antenna System Impedance at LF

Although a suitable matching transformer can be arrived at empirically the design can be simplified if the antenna feed impedance is known. An impedance value will also give you some idea of how good your ground system is, once you have estimated the coil loss. There may be other uses.

The method of measuring impedance I use is called the 3 Meter Impedance Measuring Method (3m Z Bridge) and I have used it for the last 20 years on HF. It is described in more detail in 'The Antenna Experimenter's Guide' (from RSGB Bookshop). The 3-meter impedance measurement technique is very simple. It compares the unknown impedance with a fixed standard impedance, (a 50 ohm resistor and a .01uF capacitor). An excitation source (signal generator) applies an RF voltage to the standards and diode voltmeters, selected by a switch allow digital voltmeter readings to be made at various points. Impedance is indicated by the ratio of three voltmeter readings. One additional reading allows in-place calibration of the reference capacitor and the second permits several solutions for the unknown impedance, thus giving an indication of the random errors that may be present in the data. Impedance values are derived from the voltage data by calculation. However, this may be simplified by using a graphic method (using graph paper and a pair of compasses and a ruler) or a computer. The BASIC (do you remember that stuff?) source code is available at the RSGB Web site <www.rsgb.org> If you download it as a text file it will run in Q-Basic - I dont know about Visual Basic. If you are using the standard Marconi antenna measure the feedpoint impedance from the bottom of the loading coil and earth.

The following measured impedances in the range 136.4 to 138kHz indicate some errors just below 137kHz, which I have not yet identified.
G3LDO_LF_Antenna

                   Results        +/-Errors
Freq MHz   Res      jX       Res    jX
.1364       37.9   - 29.4      2      2.1
.1366       37.4   - 22.8      4.6    5.3
.1368       33.5   - 22.2     5.1    5.7
.1370       33.4   - 17.3      5.8    7.4
.1372       35.6   - 8.8       2.8    3.5
.1374       36.4   -0 1        1.7    2
.1376       36.9   +0 5       1.1    1.3
.1378       36.5   + 13.3    1      1.3
.1380       38.1   + 21       1.1    1.8

The above measurements were made in the late afternoon when the ground was relatively dry. In the morning the resistance was above 40ohms and resonance was around 136.8kHz.
A full description will appear in the forthcoming LF Book.

--
Regards, Peter, G3LDO

<[email protected]>