Re: LF: Slow CW vs. BPSK etc.

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Slow CW vs. BPSK etc.
From: [email protected]
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 15:26:16 EDT
Sender: <[email protected]>
Rik posted while I was still struggling to finish typing mine. If he had been a bit faster or I had been a bit slower, I could have addressed some part of the bandwidth issue. <g>

The necessary bandwidth of these methods may be correct as stated, but the actual radiated bandwidths may not be. North American-style BPSK, a least that which is generated in LowFER transmitters, is not particularly spectrum-efficient. It's a constant-envelope type, which means it can be amplified in high-efficiency stages (provided the output tuning isn't too sharp). The extra sidebands are not a problem since we have 30kHz in which to play, and negligible radiated power to start with. PSK31 gains its spectrum efficiency through envelope shaping, but that same requirement probably makes it a lot more susceptible to impulse noise than its brute-force BPSK counterpart.

As I mentioned in my previous message, I agree with Rik's assessment that narrower bandwidths with QRSS give us another window of opportunity for communication below signal levels where pure digital modes fall over the cliff edge. The window is not limitless, because propagation-related phase shifts will eventually impact very narrow communication channels in the analog domain too. Still, I think that window needs to be explored fully, and not dismissed out of hand just because it's slower or lacks digital purity.

73,
John