LF: Re: Morse tones and spacial filters

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Morse tones and spacial filters
From: "Sommereyns Ruddy" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 23:18:08 +0200
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hello Allan and the LF-group,

I have been reading all the mail about monitoring cw signals and optimum
frequency etc..

My receiver for Lf  is a Kenwood  R5000 with standard CW filter.
I also have a Siemens D2055 ( 80 Hz bandwidth) and a Wandel & Golterman
TFPM76 with approx. 100 Hz  bandwith. These are carrier  level meters, but
perform excellent for Rx on the Lf band.

I  noticed that when I turned my head whilst listening to CW (with the
R5000) that the
signal almost disappeared and came back, this depending on the actual
position of my head.
My first impression was that there was something wrong with my ears. But
then I thougt that it had something to do with reflections and absorption on
different nearby objects, so
I thougt that it had to be possible to place some sort of diffusor on top of
the speaker and obtain a more equal soundpattern.

Then I did the following experiment:  The loudspeaker of the R5000 is
located in the
top of the cabinet.  I placed a cardboard ring (82 mm diameter and 50 mm
height) on top of the cabinet above the speaker. Then I took a (empty)
glass (jelly jarr - don`t know  the
excact english word), held it above the cardboard ring and (while listening
to a cw signal)
lowered it in the cardboard ring. When I reached a certain position in the
ring I had the following result:

First of all the cw sounded  twice as hard. Second , most of the noise was
strongly reduced and finally I could turn my head without hearing the signal
fade . I made some
measurements with a microphone connected to a oscilloscope to see the
variation of the amplitude and indeed , without the "acoustical filter" the
signal on the scope was about
5 mV I believe and with the "filter" about 10 to 15 mV. Of course is this
not a very scientific method but I am very pleased with the result. My
brother-in-law who was here for a weekend ( and doesn`t know anything about
radio or cw) was impressed that it sounded so loud !! I must say that I have
experimented with a lot
of different shapes and lenghts of glass and one model was outperforming
all.
Overall hight approx. 9 cm, largest diameter 7 cm , smallest diameter 6 cm ,
its conical and difficult to describe. This is al lot of text, and if
someone is interested I can take a picture of the setup and put it on the
reflectorside.At the moment the R5000 is out of order, there is something
wrong with the PLL system. Have to check it. I did not do any test on other
speakers but I am sure that it must work too.

73  Ruddy  ON6UX