Re: LF: Re. Decca Mast (G3KEV)

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re. Decca Mast (G3KEV)
From: "g3kev" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 16:40:33 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>

LAWRENCE MAYHEAD wrote:

 Sorry Mal,I cant agree that the small ant "is but a long wire etc

How would you describe a long wire???
I  would say a long wire antenna that amateurs use is a random piece of wire, that is longer than the down lead.
All horizontal long wires must have a down lead to get to the tx and the down lead could easily be 9 metres and 50 metres horizontal. I suppose one could say that any long wire was really an inverted L even if the vertical portion was only 2 metres.
If I had a 50 metre horizontal wire and a drop lead to the shack 9 metes, I would call it a long wire.
Where does one draw the line???????.  I would like to have your observations.
When I refer to an inv L it means that the vertical portion is greater than the horizontal.
G3KEV

" if this is meant to imply that it is anything other than a short 9m high vertical with top loading,which will have the same omni-directional vert. polarised radiation pattern as the larger ant.The Top load does not produce horiz.polarisation at this frequency. This does not mean that I am entirely happy with the results I would have expected the same sig strength, however I await the full set of reports from different directions and distances.73s Laurie.